Sunday, February 2, 2014

Jazz in Arabia

I welcomed 2014 with a wonderful opportunity to perform my first ever wedding. Now let me tell you a little bit of history; I have never actually performed at a wedding, this was never on my agenda. However, this exceptional couple both of Arabic origin living in Paris contacted me. They were a lovely couple and their love of jazz was music to my ears. It turned out to be one of the most memorable experiences performing with my band at their Arabic themed wedding. I will never say never.
After the wedding, they sent me the most beautiful email ever. And as they said ‘viva le Jazz’.



A few days later I received an email from an Emirati lady asking me to perform at her birthday celebration at the end of January. We agreed to meet to discuss details. I cannot begin to explain how pleasantly surprised I was to meet this beautiful young lady and her most beautiful mother laughing, loving and sharing my songs. I really felt, after all the hard work, the Arabs and I share the same love of music.

They knew every song, every artist and I was so excited as, again, this was a first for me. Now, taking into account that I met these two beautiful ladies wearing the local dress with their hair covered up. All that was visible to me was their faces. When I arrived at the party, which was a Disney themed event with all the old romantic Disney tunes, I was utterly blown away by their beauty, their magnificent hair and their exceptional style. I will never forget the manner in which I was treated. I can honestly say this will stay with me for life. 

Their kindness, their respect, their culture and I really felt at home. We had such a great fun evening.  And to see the entire party up dancing to tunes like Sway, Whatever Lola wants, King of the swingers etc. was a dream come true. I laughed and danced with them and couldn’t believe they knew every Jazz song that I performed. I have never experienced anything like this before. For the first time ever, I sang ‘happy birthday’ in Arabic ‘sana helwa ya jameel…..’


No comments:

Post a Comment