Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Jazz and new beginnings



It’s been a long time since I last updated this page. My apologies as It has been a hectic period. It has had its ups and downs. I had a few operations on my back. My fourth to date. And I really want to thank the doctors, nurses, and the whole medical team here. It really was excellent and they had me back up and running in no time. Mind you I’m a very hard person to keep down anyway and the recovery was hard and I am sure I drove all involved slightly bonkers with my lack of patience, but we got there and I am only too happy to be back singing.

I sang at numerous events such as the Global Aerospace Summit in Abu Dhabi, BVLGARI, Travel Arabia and Dewar’s. The latter gave me the opportunity to put together an amazing bunch of excellent jazz musicians from all corners of the world; Russia, Scotland, India, Kazakhstan, England and of course, Ireland; Me J. It truly was so memorable from start to finish, here’s a clip of our very first rehearsal that I’m so proud of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4WmvIj8W1c. Some great Jazz from a bunch of musicians that I will perform with again and again. And here’s a pic of all on the night.


We are now at the end of the Holy month of Ramadan and beginning of Eid. For those who are not familiar with Ramadan, let me give you some of my experience. Firstly this is my third Ramadan living in Dubai. It is also a month that never ceases to amaze me by all that is happening around me. Dubai goes very quiet compared to the usual hustle and bustle. Ramadan is a month of fasting and contemplating. Most Western children go home and often the entire family. My own children returned home in July and the house and everything around you becomes very calm and peaceful. It’s quite amazing because you actually do have the opportunity to contemplate and think about life and the world around you. You become very aware of people who are fasting and hugely respect their values. Therefore you do not eat or drink in public or around those fasting as a sign of respect.

Ramadan is also a month of extreme kindness and generosity. Every day, come sunset, people break their fast. But also you see many tents erected everywhere here for the poor to break their fast. Free food and drink is donated to help the poor. And if you happen to be driving at sunset. No matter who you are. If you stop at major traffic junctions, you will be presented with a little gift. I happened to be at one of these junctions at sunset one day and was presented with a box containing water, dates and fruit juices. One of the kindest gestures I have seen. There truly is an air of hope and happiness throughout. Especially at a time where there is a lot of atrocities being committed around the world. Which brings me to my next topic; Palestine.

When you get to the stage when you can no longer bear to watch the news on the ongoing slaughter of Palestinians every day. I never stop praying for these people. And I truly wish the world could come together to end these atrocities. Me being Irish I have a huge compassion for the Palestinians. As we too were slaughtered for many years. I hope one day, they will enjoy the freedom that we enjoy now. I never stop thinking about the defenseless women and children who live in terror every day. I can now see that the world is taking action and if we all work together maybe these people will be allowed to live like we are all given the right to as human beings.

Now we are celebrating Eid. It’s a time to thank god for what we are given. Visit the family and friends, and exchange gifts. I will soon see my lovely boys again whose laughter and great chats I miss terribly now. I love Eid and this is my third one in this country. Dubai reverts back to its vibrant life and the music begins again. I for one, am so looking forward to the next season.
I have just finished recording some great Jazz tunes that I’m hoping I’ll be able to share with you over the next few weeks .The full band will be back in rehearsals soon and I will be announcing upcoming performances etc. So watch this space. And Eid Mubarak to all my lovely friends and family.





2 comments:

  1. Dubai corporate singer
    http://www.bethburrows.com/
    Dubai singer, corporate, jazz singer, lounge, wedding, events, princess , British,British presenter,female presenter, MC, voiceover, Hostess and wedding singer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your thinking it is a excellent idea to share helpful knowledge like this it is quite helpful for the fresh blogger!

    Ireland Matrimony

    ReplyDelete